Doesn't work with XBAP

May 15, 2008 at 2:49 PM
Hi Matt,

Your code uses reflection & unfortunately ReflectionPermission is not quite available with XBAP applications. A person using LINQ is bound to use these new technologies. I get the enum. I get the neccessity to have a collection being maintained in the base class of deleted items. Storing original values so that timestamps are not mandatory. Beyond that other aspects of your implementation are not quite clear even after reading blog. If you can elaborate that it will of great help to all who can tweak the source code to meet their needs. Keep it up!!!

Life is so beautiful!!!

Success,

Niraj
May 17, 2008 at 11:11 AM
Hi Niraj,

Thanks for your feedback. 

It was never my intention to support XBAP at this stage - I don't see this as critical yet, I was more concerned about the lack of change tracking in the most common technoligies (ASP.NET, Web Services, etc..).  I realise that a lot of people may be using it, but definately not as main stream as the other technologies - given time however it very well may be.

Unfortunately, in it's current state reflection is required in the LINQ to Entity base.  The only way I think I could avoid using reflection is by replacing the code generator that currently generates the entities.  The guys at Terca Planeta are doing this, though I'm not sure how far they have got along... might contact them to see how they are going (see their project here).  Also there's a codesmith template called PLINQO which also re-generates the object, but in a different way - perhaps this would be a good idea.

I will try and write more about the LINQ to SQL Base so that everyone can understand how it works, however if you have a look at the source code the masses of commenting (almost too much I would say) in and around the code might help you understand more.

If you could point me to more information on XBAP, feel free - I'd like to learn more and see if it's a good fit.

Cheers

Matthew Hunter